dreaming and planning

As any good gardener or director of talents: be they musical, of the stage or of the fiber arts or a farmer considering how their output may increase or a teacher thinking of what might be accomplished or a church committee looking to the future, there is the spark of an idea. That idea catches flame and becomes a dream. And of course, what all those people know, is that it takes a lot of planning to make an idea a reality.  It also takes perseverance. And a lot of dreaming.  Don't forget the dreaming!

Martin has always been ready for an adventure, to go places and see things and have new experiences. It is one of the things that I've always loved about him.  I was an avid, no that's too tame, I was a ferocious reader as a girl and I always dreamed of seeing the people, the places, the animals, really, just everything I read about. Everything my imagination then took and extrapolated into something so interesting and incredible and fascinating. But I never thought I would have the chance to actually see these things. We made two cross country camping trips with our boys, but they were rushed (if it's Wed we must be at Devil's Tower, etc). Don't get me wrong, they were fabulous and if I could go back I would do them again in a heartbeat. But,  it wasn't much of a leap to go to the dream of a retirement trip when we could come back, spend our time, see what we wanted, and maybe even have some downtime in these gorgeous places!  

     Arches National Park, Utah
     Mt. Rushmore, So. Dakota
    Mt. Rainier National Park, WA

The spark, then the dream grew and became more of a reality.  Martin never wavered.  
I ... I was not always so sure this would happen.
But Martin, the meticulous planner, the dreamer with his feet on the ground, knew the only way it would happen would be to make it happen.  And on some of those sloggy work days (you know the ones, where you just can't bear it) he'd open up his computer files and start planning a bit. 
It was the light that helped him through when things were .... well ... less than exciting. He didn't just plan at work, he planned at home too.  Spreadsheets started emerging.  Books of national parks, state parks and more appeared beside his chair.  He started watching shows on all the things to see in each state.
Let me tell you, one of the best perks is to be married to a planner 
I only have to say what I want to do and it is miraculously part of the plan. 
  
Dreaming and planning. Planning and dreaming.
                               ❤️❤️❤️
           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

heading for home (with a few stops along the way)

Capitol Reef National Park